Sunday, October 25, 2009

Playing skillfully... and other loud noises


I am so thankful for TJ's post because it gives me something to rant, I mean talk about. Regarding the unskilled person involved in music ministry...

First of all, I want to say that consecration should be a prerequisite for ministry of any kind. The anointing is not something we should spend a lot of time hammering into leadership, if we do then we have some serious issues that obviously take precedent over any talent and ability problems. My opinion on this matter assumes that those involved are leadership material, and do not need to be instructed on how to live a consecrated life that is Spirit-led.

Music is a skill building art, it requires time, discipline, and much practice. I wonder if the popularity of three chord worship songs is connected in any way to the rampant laziness and lack of discipline we deal with among musicians and singers? If you state that you desire to minister before the Lord in music and what you offer is out of tune, sloppy, or distracting to the congregation trying to pursue the presence of God, do you think He is just pleased that your desire is sincere? I am tired of apologizing to someone because the assume they can bring a half-hearted offering into the sanctuary and we should accept it because they are sincere. There are too many ministries who need help for you to be wasting all this time pursuing what is most likely an ego driven dream rather than a call from God.

In 1 Chronicles we read about the "skillful" Levites who were set apart for the ministry of music i tabernacle. Chenaniah was instructor in charge of music "because he was skillful." (1 Chron. 15:22) 1 Corinthians 14: 6 compares instruction with no truth or focus to musical instruments played out of tune. We certainly expect the ministers preaching the Word to walk to the platform prepared and Spirit-led. We should expect no less from the musicians and singers who are expected to lead us in praise and worship. Simply put, if you want to be involved in music ministry, you must be musical.

This sounds great in theory, but how do you deal with it in your local church? To be honest, I have only ever told one person that they were not cut out for music ministry, and it was someone who I believe was truly tone deaf. Otherwise, if you can carry a tune, stay on pitch for most of the song, and engage in demonstrative worship I will stick you on the platform even if I turn your microphone down. Isn't that hypocritical? Maybe, but I expect you to show up and know the words, stay on your part, and sing like you are standing right before the throne of God. I have found that there are plenty who disagree with my philosophy on music ministry, but we don't have anyone singing off key on our platform either. I still have musicians and singers who show up ill prepared for service, but I'd like to think the shame-facedness is for the Lord and not the tyrant behind the keyboard.

No comments:

Post a Comment