Friday, October 30, 2009

Give Me Some Breathing Room


“My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing and make music with all my soul.” Psalm 108:1

College story. It was a long ensemble trip. A crowded van. A lot of bodies in a little space. One guy got tired of being crammed against so many other people and needed an escape. His way of dealing was to pull out his headphones and visit what he called his “bigger, free environment.”

I use that trick on a daily basis. In our floundering economy, I consider myself blessed to have a steady government job with lots of benefits and paid holidays. But that doesn’t make the eight hours pass any quicker.

In my small, windowless office, I sometimes feel like my soul is suffocating. It needs to sing. So I grab my iPod, a stack of papers, and head to the filing room. While I sort away the alphabetized records, I sing along, shuffle my feet, and let my soul breathe for awhile.

Music has that magical ability to transport us out of our claustrophobic lives into a bigger, free environment.

If we let it.

Sometimes it takes a conscious choice to hear the melody over the ringing cell phones, or crying babies. You don’t even need an iPod. Just flip that switch in your heart.

Why not join me today? Whether you work from home or the office, you can still take the time to make some music. On the outside, we may be sitting sedately in our desk chairs, typing away at our keyboards. But, on the inside, our souls are singing. Together we’ll form a silent choir of praise, spreading across state lines.

Well, it’s time for me to go to work. Chances are I’ll head for the file room with my iPod at some point today. I may even dance around a little. Oh man, I hope my boss isn’t reading this.

No comments:

Post a Comment