Thursday, October 1, 2009

Hagah

hagah

What would you like to hear more of in church? What would you like to hear less of?

In the latest edition of the Forward (the UPCI magazine with a more ministerial audience) there's an article by Robert Trapani that chastises contemporary Christian music for over-eroticizing our relationship with God. I must concur wholeheartedly with the sentiment expressed by the author. We have too many songs that do not strike the right tone of worship.

Why can't we have more songs that are straight out of the Psalms verbatim? I don't care if it's KJV, NIV, or even a scholarly translation or paraphrase.

More scripture, please. It doesn’t have to be in Hebrew.

I have been reading a translation of the Psalms by Robert Alter. Really great stuff. "In his law doth he meditate day and night" goes the verse in Psalm 1. Alter translates it "murmur." I don't know Hebrew. I wish I did. I have been trying to pick some bits and pieces here and there, but it hasn't been with any regularity nor have I a method. But I greatly enjoy finding a new way of looking at the scripture within the mode of contextual application. I especially have enjoyed Alter's new outlook.

The NKJV and NIV do well to versify the Psalms into more or less the poetry that it is, but Alter gives it a sense of rhythm. A more true sense of the poetic thrust. I have long been craving such a translation of the Psalms. I am still looking for a better translation. It seems I’m always looking for a better translation.

2 comments:

  1. Everett,
    I wholeheartedly agree with you regarding Scripture in song. I catch a lot of The Message in Hillsong lyrics, especially Brooke Fraser. I haven't read Alter, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I could hear a better mix of the new contemporary Christian songs and the older songs my Grandparents taught us. What happened to the songs, "Nothing but the Blood" or "That Ol' Rugged Cross" or "It Is Well With My Soul" or "Amazing Grace"? They could be remixed to make the music sound more modern without loosing the integrity of the message found within the lyrics. I miss the trust found in those songs and others like them.

    ReplyDelete