Friday, July 30, 2010

Harp Lesson from the Holy Land



The harp shop hid among the crowded streets of Jerusalem. It was hard work to search it out among the many houses and souvenir stalls. An ordinary looking door with the correct address finally presented itself. We entered a small room with very few actual instruments and heard stomping around on the floor above our heads. The proprietors came down the stairs, delighted to show off their musical wares. They hand crafted the instruments, and their specialty was harps like the one King David played.

The man showed off his treasures as he gave us a history lesson. He and his wife explained that the legend says David hung his harp above his bed, and the wind blowing through the strings would awaken him every morning.
This gave new meaning to Psalm 108:1-2 which said, “O God, my heart is fixed; I will sing and give praise, even with my glory. Awake, psaltery and harp: I myself will awake early” (KJV).

I loved the idea of a praise alarm clock. Was it possible to build one internally? Could I stretch some spiritual strings across the walls of my heart that would vibrate whenever God’s spirit started to blow?
The merchant took an ornate, harp with leaves scrolled down the front and handed it to one of us. The U-shaped instrument was polished to a burnished brown. Ten strings stretched between its curvy arms and a Star of David was carved on the base. He told the woman to lay her ear against the wood and pluck softly at the strings.

Nothing happened. She played away and we couldn’t hear a note. Why was she smiling?

They passed the harp to each of us and then we understood. When you laid your ear against the side, you could hear a soft hum begin. The vibrations traveled through the body and directly to the musician’s ear. A room full of people could sit next to you and never hear a thing.

I can imagine David sitting in his court, surrounded by the self-important backstabbers he complained of in the book of Psalms. Should he go to war? Should he stay at home? How was his popularity rating among the people? The heated discussions swirl all around him until the noise threatens to drive him mad.
Ignoring the bicker and squabbling, he picks up his ten-stringed lyre and softly strums. The conversations continue unimpeded, but David is no longer the king on his throne. He’s a simple shepherd once again as he plays a love song only he and God can hear.

I doubt I will ever learn to play the lyre or compose the kind of heart wrenching poetry that poured from David’s soul, but I can sing a new song of my own. I’ll compose it on the strings of my heart and offer it silently up to God. It’s a secret He and I can share together, no matter how crowded and noisy my surroundings may be.

No comments:

Post a Comment