Saturday, May 29, 2010

Coming Attractions

This clip has been around the block a few times, but I'd like to share it with all of you for this mad dash of a weekend posting.

"Sunday's Coming" Movie Trailer from North Point Media on Vimeo.



It's clever, but it is a great place to launch an evaluation and discussion of how we do Sunday services. I realize the subject has many layers and is far too broad to handle in a short blog post, but if we focus on the "how" of our approach as musicians to the weekend service I believe it reveals much of the "why" in our motives.

Are we selling an experience that lasts an hour and ensures repeat visits in the coming weeks? Can this approach actually be a positive thing? Is there a need to return to "long" weekend services in order to ensure that God has room to move? Are we trendy or traditional to a fault? How big of a priority is the weekend service in our personal prayer and meditation time?

I want to be a facilitator of a worship journey in each gathering that happens on the weekend. I want to be a leader in praise and worship setting an example for the congregation to follow. I want to be passionate about the culture I am helping to create in the local assembly. I want to be sensitive to the voice of God at all times both in preparation and execution. The process by which all of this takes place is still in formation, but I want my motives to remain pure in the midst of whatever culture is being cultivated.

1 comment:

  1. I hadn't seen this before, but it's hilarious & a bit too spot on. In any endeavor, staying fresh (and daring originality) is always the biggest challenge.

    ReplyDelete