Friday, December 18, 2009

Christmas Music Ramblings


So it’s Christmas time! Everybody’s at the mall. Those of us that have snow to play in are playing in it (or dreading shoveling it). This is the time of year when everybody’s happy all the time (except while driving). But what marks this season more than anything else for me is when the Christmas music begins to be played everywhere; in the mall, on the radio, in CD players all over the world and in churches all over the world. There is no doubt what season this is.

So I would like to simply mention a couple CDs and songs that I like and maybe you guys could mention some to me.

The first song I’d like to mention is “Happy Xmas” by John Lennon. Yes, I used the term Xmas and yes, I said John Lennon. I’m not saying I’m a John Lennon fan, but there’s just something about this particular song that causes me to put that baby on repeat. Maybe it’s the children from the Harlem Community Choir that give the song its appeal. Perhaps it’s the lyrics that promote peace on earth. After all, who wants to think about war, fighting and killing while we celebrate the birth of Christ? As for the Xmas part; “X” is simply an abbreviation for the word Christ in Greek, people have been using it for over 1,000 years and Christ is still in Christmas people. Besides, with this economy Christ may be the only thing some of us will be receiving this holiday season, and I say that sincerely.

Of course, everybody likes the Trans Siberian Orchestra’s “Christmas Eve/Sarajevo 12/24.” That’s a great twist on a seasonal song. It’s not exactly what one has in mind when you think of “God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen” and “Carol of the Bells.” I love this song and I’m not one that gets into a lot of heavy guitar stuff.

An album that I think is great is Emmanuel by Norman Hutchins that features several other artists. We are actually using 2 of the songs for our Christmas service this year. They put a twist on quite a few traditional Christmas songs that could help you have a “churchy” Christmas if you like.

And finally, an album that is not so new, but I enjoy listening to even now is Israel Houghton’s A Timeless Christmas. This upbeat Christmas CD keeps me bobbing my head in the car, in the music room at the church, and even right now while I’m typing this. And if that doesn’t sound like a testimonial on a commercial, I don’t know what does. They should be paying me for this free advertisement. Ha ha ha ha.

Merry Christmas and God Bless!
P.S. Don’t forget to show your families how much you love and appreciate them.

No comments:

Post a Comment