Thursday, November 12, 2009

Sacred vs. Secular

This is Shyla Salmon posting for Ann Ahrens who apparently has "nothing to say" today. Of course I don't believe her claim, but I'm here nonetheless.
She instructed me to write something, anything about music. So, that's what i'll do.

Recently, I have been becoming increasingly aware of the subconscious tendency I have to categorize music under two categories: Christian and Non-Christian. I have also become aware of how faulty this is.
Has the song itself been converted to Christianity? When did any four piece minute of music decide to follow Christ and begin to manifest the fruits of the spirit?
I know there are times when i'm strolling down the grocery store aisle and hear a song that has words like "God", or "hallelujah" and immediately proclaim with joy: "This song MUST be Christian". As if, on an imaginary scoreboard I am tallying "1 for the Christians, 0 for Non-christians"
But isn't music God's? Isn't He the ultimate reference point for all things? Don't get me wrong.
Of course there is music that is filled with vulgarity and references to things that do not bring God glory. With every gift there are boundaries, everything can be perverted-But that is the true test: Does it glorify the God of the universe, or does it defame Him?
The questions we should be asking ourselves should be more like: Does what I am listening to draw me to Christ? Does it stir up a deep awe and reverence of Him in my soul?
Of course, what stirs my affections for Jesus, may actually rob yours.
For example, Beyonce's new hit single "Smash Into You" and Coldplay's "Fix You" are both songs that cause me to weep in remembrance of my experiences with the Lord, even though the writers of these songs may have not penned it about Jesus. And recently, at a Mutemath concert during their song "Obsession" I was moved to worship (I worshipped Jesus, not the strikingly talented, goodlooking lead singer). I understand that not every Christian worships the Lord to Beyonce, but you get my drift.
In any case, I believe it is important for us to rid ourselves of automatic stereotyping that may or may not be subconscious. I wonder if we were more concerned about encouraging the glorification of God through music, than condemning it to Hell, maybe through unexpected avenues we would see Jesus more clearly and love Him more dearly.


What I'm listening to: Brand New's newest album Daisy, and Switchfoot's Hello Hurricane
What I'm reading: Turning Points by Mark Noll

This is Shyla Salmon, signing off
Stop by my blog www.shylasal.wordpress.com if you get the chance :)

No comments:

Post a Comment