Tuesday, September 15, 2009

A musician's resume......yikes, I think I fall WAY short!


Last week in the Music Appreciation class I teach here at Gateway, I decided to throw those poor theology majors a bone - they have to suffer through my enthusiasm for all things classical, all the while wondering, "Why do I have to take this class? I'm a Pastoral Studies major?" My collegue, Joyce Scott, has, over the years, worked up quite a nice presentation on what the Bible says about music and how we use it, perform it, etc... Actually, it's not just those poor theology majors who need this study, but the music majors, ESPECIALLY!!!!!
Starting with the Biblical preparation requirements for music ministry, she focused on the necessary training for properly ministering musically. Makes sense, right? I mean, I wouldn't want my pastor to never study the Word and just get up there and wing it. Rest assured, I'd be doing some church shopping pretty quickly!!
The part of this section of the study which has stuck with me (even though I've heard it several times.....I'm a slow learner!) was the section on the necessary Godly Character. Joyce used the passage in I Samuel 16:17-18 which chronicles Saul requesting a musician who would play in order to drive away the evil spirits that were tormenting him. His only job requirement? "Provide me now a man that can play well, and bring him to me." (v. 17)
Saul's unnamed servant then gives the most brilliant, comprehensive list of the perfect musician: "Then answered one of the servants and said, Behold, I have seen a son of Jesse [David] the Bethlehemite, that is cunning in playing, and a mighty valiant man, and a man of war, and prudent in matters, and a comely person, and the Lord is with him."
Here's the breakdown:
1. Cunning in playing (posses skill, talent)
2. Valiant (brave)
3. A Man of War (not afraid to go after the enemy)
4. Prudent (responsible)
5. Comely (neat and presentable appearance)
6. The LORD is with him. (filled with the Spirit!)
No, talent is not the most imporant component. Nor is talent and the Spirit. It appears that we must be willing to bravely wage war, musically and on our knees. We must also be presentable in our appearance - no slovenly appearance! And we must be responsible (yes, even those who are procrastinators, unorganized, always running late.....)
A well-rounded person, wouldn't you say?
I'm reading - plowing through Bro. Norris' Theology Reader and also reading The Problem of Pain, by C.S. Lewis.
Listning to......okay, I'll admit it......Christmas music!

No comments:

Post a Comment