Friday, July 24, 2009

Wedding Dresses and Congregational Singing


There is a congregation in our beautiful city that recently sang "Wedding Dress" by Derek Webb as a part of their worship set. It caused a bit of a stir much like the song did when it was first released about six years ago. Some Christian retailers refused to sell the album that contained the song, but there were few discussions as to whether or not it would be appropriate for congregational use. The lyrics are as follows (for those who are not familiar with the song):


If you could love me as a wife
And for my wedding gift, your life
Should that be all I’d ever need?
Or is there more I’m looking for


And should I read between the lines
And look for blessings in disguise
To make me handsome, rich, and wise
Is that really what you want?


[Chorus]
‘Cause I am a whore I do confess
But I put you on just like a wedding dress
And I run down the aisle, I run down the aisle
I’m a prodigal with no way home
But I put you on just like a ring of gold
And I run down the aisle
I run down the aisle to you


So could you love this bastard child?
Though I don’t trust you to provide
With one hand in a pot of gold
And with the other in your side
‘Cause I am so easily satisfied
By the call of lovers so less wild
That I would take a little cash
Over your very flesh and blood


Because money cannot buy
A husband’s jealous eye
When you have knowingly deceived his wife

©2002 Niphon, Inc. (Admin by Music Services). All right reserved. Used by permission. ASCAP


It is a moving song, a call to holiness, and a song that preaches rather than exhorts. It is as viable and important to the church today as it was six years ago. The major issue is, of course, the language. Should a congregation sing, "I'm a whore..." in one accord, children and adults? How would you explain that one to a 2 year old? In the context of the song, the word simply refers to unfaithfulness. The repentant tone reminds one of "Heart of Worship" and "Hear Us From Heaven." Is this a song you should use for the larger congregational gathering? Should it be limited to smaller, and more intimate times of worship? Should the song be appreciated on one's personal iPod and not shared at all? Is it really the language that makes us uncomfortable, or the truth it speaks about the majority of the church world?

1 comment:

  1. RJ
    Derek Webb sure does know how to stir things up, doesn't he? I have always appreciated his honest lyrics- although I will say I don't listen to them for pleasure, but rather when I know I need some persepective.

    This is interesting - that a church would sing this congregationally. I've said many times before that it bugs me that there are some songs I'd love to sing in church but know that people would just set and stare like I had a monkey on my head or something. I'm not sure, however, about singing a song like this congregationally. Would it be more appropriate, say if a pastor were going to preach on this subject and then have his sermon pro/preceeded by the song? I think there needs to be some teaching along with this song. You are right that we avoid it for the words AND the message - maybe mostly the words upon initially listening, but the message pricked my heart even as I was reading it here.

    Ann

    ReplyDelete